Saturday, April 18, 2009

After the Cloud: Prelude


After the Cloud:
  1. Prelude
  2. So Far
  3. The New Big
  4. To Atomic Computation and Beyond
  5. Open Heaps
  6. Heaps of Cash
  7. Epilogue

These days, it seems that no matter where we go, we hear something about "the cloud." It's not really buzz anymore... it has become far more accepted and widely discussed to be that. For some organizations it's actually part of their current, every-day infrastructure. For others, it soon will be. As far as I'm concerned, now's the perfect time to start discussing what's next :-)

If you've spent any time reading some of the blog content I've managed to post over the past several years, you've probably noted that I like to explore the long view (if rather informally). Well, that's what I've got in store for you now: a series of blog posts that explore the long view of a post-cloud industry. Hopefully, with some new twists and turns along the way.

First off, I want to cover some basic ground, so the first couple posts might be a little less interesting that those that follow. Fortunately, I've been pondering these particular ideas since my month sabbatical last August -- this means I've already got most of the material written and ready to go!

These posts are going to take a peek at practical, hands-on ideas regarding the ways in which one might make use of current nascent tech to build prototypes for tomorrow's infrastructure, what that infrastructure might be, business ideas about what do do with that tech, and even future possibilities for information-based markets.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed thinking about it :-)


No comments: