Tuesday, March 22, 2005

supybot IRC Channel Bot and Subversion Commits

programming :: python :: internet



Last night at the Hacking Society meeting in Fort Collins, I finished
my latest utility. I use supybot on our dev channel and the other day,
I learned how to write plugins for it. After writing one, I realized
that wasn't exactly what I needed. What I really needed was to add my
own daemon to run inside supybot's daemon. Then I learned the complete
internals of supybot. Quite an interesting experience. I wrote a
daemon/notification server last year that monitors arbitrary
directories and files for changes to contents, time stamps, etc. I
wanted my daemon to monitor a directory where our subversion hooks post
updates, see which files (updates) have been added, and then parse the
updates for information that is useful to post on an IRC channel. *And*
I wanted this daemon to run inside the supybot daemon. In less than 24
hours, supybot was learned and my daemon was buried inside of it nicely
;-)


At the Hacking Society meeting, I finished up the parsing for the
subversion commit updates... today, the results were viewable as
everyone made their code changes. Ah, data is wonderful.


No comments: