Saturday, March 26, 2005

Pete Yorn

music :: leisure



I am really behind the times. I discovered Pete Yorn only yesterday. I
was watching "Me, Myself, & Irene" with my mother last night. We were
both in a punchy mood, just having watched Bruce Campbell's "Alien
Invasion", so we laughed ourselves silly at Jim Carey's schizoid
antics. At some point in the movie near where they met Whitey, the
coolest song started playing. I've owned this movie since it came out,
and had never heard this song before. Well, it turned out it was the
song "Strange Condition" by Pete Yorn.


So I got a couple of his CDs, and holy crap -- this guy's good! He
reminds me of Elliot Smith, some classic REM, Counting Crows and a
little Grant Lee Buffalo. And sometimes you can hear a little Robert
Smith (The Cure). I feel like one of those dorks in "High Fidelity"
now... "She's kind of a
Sheryl-Crow-meets-a-post-Partridge-Family-pre-LA
Law-Susan-Day...only...black."


No comments: