Sunday, March 20, 2005

Living in an Epic Tolkien Setting

leisure :: nature



We worked pretty hard at Adytum last week, so Friday and the weekend
were filled with little rewards... like pizza, going to the movies, and
most importantly, hiking in the Rockies. I have been in the Alps;I have
been in the Himalayas. Each are impressive and beautiful. The Rockies,
though... mmm. That's home.


I am now the proud owner of a season pass to the US National Parks.
This sponsorship ranks among the highest causes I contribute to -- just
as important as preserving indigenous cultures and human rights.
Environment, ecologies, biosystems -- these are insanely precious
resources. And, you know, one of the most potent ways to recharge,
de-stress, and get reconnected to the stuff that's really important in
life: living.

We drove up into Rocky Mountain National Park, just West of Estes Park,
CO. It was less than an hour from my front door, a fact I am
continually in awe of and grateful for. (Yes, those're *two* dangling
prepositions.) Driving down Routes 34 and 36, seeing these Immense
Mountains and then More Immensity behind those Immensities was just
extraordinary. I was just giggling all yesterday. My mind simply went
on overload and I reverted to the state of a 4-year-old who is fresh to
the world, has absorbed all he can handle, and simply babbles in
synaptic twitching.

The Rockies. This is my home, now. I just can't get over it. Whenever I
am hiking or driving or bicycling in those mountains, I feel like those
enormous, snow-capped peaks are my big brothers, or uncles... like
they're sheltering and taking care of me. It feels like an excerpt from
the Silmarillion or The Two Towers, where -- like the Ents -- the
mountains will, at any moment, begin speaking in deep, booming voices.

I simply couldn't be happier with living in Colorado. I see now that
I've been waiting to live here all my life. I'm home. And I'll let you
know if the mountains start talking about little people or feisty
rings.


No comments: