Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Advogato Diary Archiver

web :: python :: programming



Last night I finished the script to pull (XML-RPC) my diary entries on
Advogato into a custom archive format. I had to use an ugly sys.stdout
hack to use the cElementTree.dump() method... but discouraging it's
misuse was probably a motivating factor for Fredrik Lundh to send its
output to stdout in the first place. I just wanted the entire contents
of a particular div, and I didn't want to have to do all that text/tail
crap.


The really nice thing thing about this, though, is piece of mind: a
single server crash anywhere will no longer result in catastrophic loss
of blog entries. Because, you know, blog entries are so damned
important ;-)


Update: Duh. cElementTree.tostring(aElement). Say no more.



No comments: